Monday 10 January 2011

Glencoe Mountain Today

Duncan my son and I went up Glencoe today to ski  fresh tracks on our good fat ski's.  After hearing of 5 avalanche incidents yesterday, including 2 very big sponataneous slides and one boarder swept 100m and another buried to his chest, we were fully transceivered up. We had some good fresh tracks in the morning but by afternoon it closed in so I went with the avalanche observer Paul Moores and his assistant Pete Weir while Duncan skied with his friend Robbie. It was interesting hearing of some of the new things coming to the SAIS and also for me to clarify some aspects of the pit profiles I wasn't sure about, so thanks lads for letting me chew the fat with them I enjoyed the social. Paul lives in Chamonix most of the year but used to live in Glencoe so has strong ties here, so it's always good to catch up with an old mate. It closed in later so Duncan and I went into the transceiver park then went and did a snow profile on the Wall run.  In the park my T2 is so much better than my old T1 which I have given to Duncan. It's faster and more accurate and no signal spike.
Paul Moores & Pete Weir at the Top of "The Sprin Run"

Paul collecting data for the avalanche information service

The BCA Park under 100cm of new snow

Duncan Gunn ready to practice in the park

Getting close with my old T1 ready to probe the plate

No comments:

Post a Comment