Monday 5 October 2009

Avalanched but OK

Fantastic piece of video received from Bruce Lochhead a friend in Canadian Ski Patrol. Scary and humbling. I enjoy my hors piste and with 30+ years of digging and bad experiences in the white spin dryer I am thinking of doing some courses for folk on avalanche and off piste safety. I strongly believe off piste skiers and patrollers have way more experience on the subject than any Scottish MR. I myself got my ass busted for suggesting MR folk should have the avalung and Recco, which I successfully tested, and got the bums rush despite overwhelming support from Swedish MR and Recco who would have backed up Scottish MR to the hilt. Same for ABS. I guess though an organisation which is only now seeing transceivers as an essential shows it's lack of experience. Even for that reason only, Ski Rescue and off piste guides are the best teachers and most knowledgable. In my non contentious opinion of course..........

Avalanche Skier POV Helmet Cam Burial & Rescue in Haines, Alaska from Chappy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment