Tuesday 28 July 2009

Grand Tour of Lochaber

Click to Enlarge



After the Tdf and looking at Armstrong and his global committment to fighting cancer through the foundation - and the interest shown in individual stories such as that of "The Fat Cyclist", I feel the need to do something worthy with my fitness to add to fund raising for a UK Cancer charity, but maybe backed by the Livestrong foundation. I think it should be road bike based, and require some energy, but also be inclusive of all abilities and therefore welcome others to join me on an ad hoc fund raiser sportif and unorganised apart from the committment to complete the distance and raise money. I don't run as my knees get toasted so the "Gallop & Grind" a worthy cause and good event, but it isn't ideal for me as a roadie.

Any other ideas welcome. One road bike idea I have nursed for a long time though is a "The Grand Tour of Lochaber" on a day ride. Glencoe, Corran Ferry, Loch Eil, Loch Ailort, Glen Uig, Acharacle, Salen, Strontian, Corran, Glencoe. 101 miles if you deduct the Ferry crossing and many thousands of feet in ascent, although not the 29,000ft shown on the profile I hope as that cant be right! Folk could just ride along with me on sections to give support or maybe go for it themselves.

Give me some feedback if you would want to join me on a section or sponsor or support me. No date set but maybe mid to late September, but open to other dates if others want to come along.


No comments:

Post a Comment